As I was looking for a cheap or free solution I stumbled across an application called Waze. Waze is a collaborative mapping program that gives you much of the functionality of a standalone GPS unit along with some really fun and useful features. Features such as:
- 3D/2D Maps
- Voice Directed Turn-By Turn Directions (no text to speech)
- Live traffic updates including Police Traps, Hazards, and Traffic Jams. All user submitted.
- Intelligent routing. Can offer multiple routes and learns your route preferences as you go.
- Map editing and reporting abilities. You help make the maps better by tracking road changes/additions/deletions on the app and online on waze.com.
- Completive point system. Earn points for "munching" roads, submitting road reports, and for just using the app. See how your score compares to others in the area.
- The more people using Waze, the better the road information will be in your area, so Waze rewards you for participating.
- Facebook and Twitter integration.
Waze is a free app available for most smartphones: iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, Symbian, and Blackberry. For more information on what Waze can do, visit their website - www.waze.com. You can also check out the introduction below.